A habit of reading can open up portals of possibilities, extended knowledge, and routes of imagination. Having a habit of reading can assist you with better understanding and mental peace.
It can serve as a “me time” during a busy day or even as an unwinding activity for better focus and concentration. This habit of reading also improves your vocabulary and grammar through friendly content and great stories.
There might have been a time where you were intrigued by a particular book and haven’t found the time to read it, or you might have had a habit of reading but due to your busy schedule, you have not touched your bookshelf since.
While reading can definitely help you in multiple areas, here are some ways you can actually develop a habit of reading.
Cultivate Habit Of Reading And Stick To It:
- Reading as a priority :It’s important for any new habit to first become a priority. If it’s not a priority, you won’t work on it the way you wish to.If you had a habit of reading and now haven’t been able to cope up with the habit again, try to keep it on your daily to-do list or even on your top priorities list for a month. Such lists also keep you accountable and will make sure you get it done.Moreover, try to remember and imagine the excitement and peace reading great stories can bring. By making yourself all excited about new books, it’ll be way easier to start this habit of reading.
- Focus on great books :Finding great books is a bit harder than it looks. If you’re into murder mysteries and thrillers, Agatha Christie might be a great choice for you. It’s always easier to start the habit of reading by starting with genres that interest you.However, if you’re into self-development, you can start by picking out books that cater to smaller portions of the category. For example, The 5 am Club by Robin Sharma is a great way to start your self-development journey and you may want to move on to Atomic Habits by James Clear.There are a lot of books that are recommended by editors and big personalities. However, it depends on you which book to pick for developing a habit of reading. You can even check out the blogs written by them which suggest some great books.
- Enjoy your reading time :You can start to pick out your personal favorite titles that intrigue you and set a specific time for inculcating a habit of reading during the day. A lot of people suggest reading before bed to unwind and feel calm. Although, depending on your own interests, you may pick up books that are directly related to a skill you’d like to develop or improve.The no. 1 way of reading and absorbing the content is to have a pen and paper by your side while reading. This way you can either highlight the key takeaways from the page or even note down your ideas and favorite quotes/lines in your notepad to reflect back upon. Use this habit of reading to your maximum advantage- it’s one of the primary ways to develop & grow yourself.
- Plan out your habit of reading:Understanding your routine is highly important when it comes to planning your habit of reading. If you have a very busy schedule and are on the go from morning till night, you might want to read during commuting. If you have spare time before/after your meal times, you can find some time to incorporate reading into your space.Pro Tip: Listening to Audiobooks during commuting is a great way of reading more when you have a tight schedule. Build up your habit of reading through unique ways that work for you!
- Read as much as you can :Of course, you don’t have to only read 20 pages or read for 30minutes. You can spend your weekends reading a book that is interesting to you and have fun doing the same. Reading also improves your writing skills as you are learning constantly. To build a habit of reading, read as much as you can during the day to improve your focus and concentration along with your technical skills.Reading has proven to be a great method of learning for young children and teenagers & it has improved a lot of adults’ productivity routines. By introducing this habit of reading to young children, it can open up a gateway for them and make them realise that infinite possibilities are present to them. This way, they would also value reading and knowledge highly in their lives.
Now that you have realised how important the habit of reading can be along with how to stay steady on your reading journey, leave us a comment down below mentioning your favorite books!